1. A doctoral thesis can be jointly supervised by the UdG and another foreign university by agreement, with the aim of creating and developing scientific cooperation between research teams in both institutions and enabling mobility for doctoral students. The minimum stay in each university is 6 months and can be carried out over one or more periods.
2. It falls to the doctoral programme's academic committee to authorise joint supervisions for doctoral theses.
3. Theses can be defended in any university participating in joint supervisions. The defence of the thesis will be made following the regulations of the university in which it is carried out and will result in a single exam result in accordance with the university regulations where the thesis is defended. An attested or authenticated copy will be provided to the other university. Where a thesis is not defended in the UdG, once the composition of the tribunal has been approved by the other university, the doctoral student will have to submit the following documents to the School of Doctoral Studies: a) an electronic file containing the entire thesis, preferably in PDF format, or in one of the other formats accepted by the University, b) the authorisation to use an electronic-format CV taken from the current application for managing curricula in the UdG, c) the other university's document approving the composition of the tribunal (account is taken of the fact that the composition has to meet the requirements of the applicable legislation at the university where the thesis is to be defended), and d) the authorisation of the defence at the other university.
4. Before a thesis can be defended, the School of Doctoral Studies has to make the above-mentioned documents available to the doctoral programme's academic committee, which it is required to authorise within a maximum period of 30 work days, where it deems fit, the defence of the doctoral thesis in the other University. Should the doctoral programme's academic committee refuse to authorise a defence, the doctoral student will not be able to apply for the title of doctor from the UdG.
To deposit a doctoral thesis defended outside the University of Girona you will need to access the Procedures section in the Virtual Secretary's Office, click on the “go there” button for the “Application to the administration” procedure and select the area of the application: “Deposit of jointly supervised doctoral thesis defended outside the UdG”. More information
5. After the doctoral programme's academic committee has given its approval, and once the thesis has been defended, the thesis director at the UdG will have to provide the School of Doctoral Studies with a copy of the documents accrediting the defence, showing the qualification obtained in the current system in the country of the other University, together with the UdG's official certificate which the School of Doctoral Studies will have to provide it with before the defence. Should the qualification awarded by the tribunal be the maximum possible under the current system in the country of the other University, the tribunal will be able to propose, by secret ballot, a “cum laude” mention for the thesis from the University of Girona. To that end, the procedure described in the article 10 of these regulations will be followed and the “cum laude” mention granted once the votes have been counted and the proposal unanimously accepted. The thesis director will be provided with a link to an application for taking the vote and be responsible for conveying this link arrive to the tribunal's members.
6. The university where the tribunal is held will be responsible for reimbursing the members of the tribunal's expenses.
7. Jointly supervised students shall be deemed, to all intents and purposes, students of the UdG.
8. A jointly supervised student can also opt for an international doctorate mention, provided they meet the requirements established in section 8.5 of this Article.
9. A jointly supervised student can also opt for an industrial doctoral mention, provided they meet the requirements established in section 8.6 of this Article.
Control sheet and agreement model