1. What is Tourism? - Specific vocabulary to do with Tourism. History of Tourism. Note taking in lectures
2. What's your kind of tourism? Specific vocabulary to do with Niche tourism. How to write a summary of a text. Simulation
3. Hospitality research. Specific vocabulary to do with Hospitality. Word stress. Polite questions. Listening to academic lectures
4. Careers in tourism and hospitality. Acronyms and abbreviations from the field . Discourse markers and stance markers in the development of a topic. Internet search criteria for research.
5. Tourism marketing. Vocabulary from the area. Lexical cohesion in texts. Language for describing trends. Making effective and appropriate contributions to a seminar.
6. The business of events tourism. Specific vocabulary for events tourism. Paraphrasing. Sentence structure identification.
7. The business of fun. Specific vocabulary for Theme Parks. Harry Potter Theme Park. Seminar simulation. General academic fixed phrases. Making effective contributions to seminars and meetings
8. Hospitality marketing. Specific vocabulary from the field. How to plan and write different types of essays.
9. Tourism and culture. Specific vocabulary. Roleplay. Discussion on the impact of Tourism on the host culture. Listening - Cornell system of note taking - academic lectures.
10. Managing people and money. Specific vocabulary for talking about finance and management.
11. External influences. Specific vocabulary. Climate change, ageing population and other factors that affect Tourism. Green Tourism
12. Information, strategy and change. Specific vocabulary for the area of the future of Tourism. Technology and Tourism
Throughout the course students will be tested on grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
Students must actively participate in class both individually and in groups. You must achieve an average mark of 60% in the evaluation tasks and attend a minimum of 80% of classes.
Students who do not pass Continuous Evaluation will have the opportunity to recuperate their mark at the end of the course via the Global Competence Test.