- Joint Doctoral Programme in Bioinformatics
- Polytechnic School , Faculty of Science
- Indicative number of places
- Number of registered students
- Official enrolment data
- Other information
- AQU Indicators
Why should I do the doctoral degree in Bioinformatics?
Bioinformatics is a strategic and eminently interdisciplinary and cross-cutting discipline that is undergoing a major expansion, both at an academic and professional level (in hospitals, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, agriculture and food, etc.) The explosion of biological data processed by hospitals and companies (the Big Data paradigm) and the need to design procedures for its correct interpretation are the main reason for the increasing demand for highly trained bioinformatics professionals.
High level research training in bioinformatics prepares students for a wide range of professional career options, in addition to academic work, as there is an ever increasing demand for professionals with a high level of training in hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology and agro-food companies. The companies in this sector are inherently very active in research, development and innovation, as this is an essential activity to maintain or improve their competitive level.
The objective of the doctoral programme in Bioinformatics is to train researchers of excellence who are able to put forward new methods, knowledge and tools for the computational analysis of data or the development of models in life sciences. With the aim of establishing a strong educational programme in this area, the programme incorporates leading experts from six Catalan universities in the different fields of bioinformatics. The Programme also includes the participation of the Bioinformatics Barcelona Association (BIB) which brings together universities, research centres and businesses with the aim of positioning Barcelona and Catalonia among the world leaders in bioinformatics.
Lines of research
1. Omics and Molecular Bioinformatics
Tutor: Dr. Jose Luis García Marín
2. Modelling and simulating biomolecules.
Tutor: Dr. Sílvia Osuna Oliveras
3. Biology of Systems and Synthetic Biology.
Tutor: Dr. Josep Vehi Casellas
4. Science of data in bioinformatics
Tutors: Dr. Robert Martí Marly, Dr. Beatriz López Ibáñez
The Joint Doctoral Programme in Bioinformatics is governed by Royal Decree 99/2011, of 28 January, which establishes the organisation of official doctoral studies programmes. The access requirements are those set out in this Royal Decree and which can be consulted at the following web address www.udg.edu/doctorat/acces.
The regulations governing the teaching programmes of doctoral degrees at the University of Girona establish that the Academic Committees of each doctoral programme may establish requirements additional to those set out by the School of Doctoral Studies in the following cases:
- The Academic Committees will be able to establish requirements and criteria in addition to those provided for in article 3 for the selection and admission of students to the corresponding doctoral programme.
- The Academic Committee of the doctoral programme may establish additional requirements for becoming a thesis tutor.
- The Academic Committee of the doctoral programme may establish additional requirements for becoming a thesis director.
- The Academic Committee of the doctoral programme will be able to establish additional requirements for the authorisation to present a thesis in the form of compendium of publications.
- The Academic Committee of the doctoral programme may establish additional requirements for becoming a member of the thesis tribunal.
- The Academic Committee of the doctoral programme may establish additional requirements to award the mention "cum laude".
- Certificate or academic record of the Bachelor's Degree or Pre-Ehea Degree, with detail of the subjects studied, ECTS credits (or hours), examinations sat, grades by subject and overall grade.
- Bachelor's Degree or pre-EHEA degree or DEA.
- Certificate or academic record of the Master's Degree/DEA, with detail of the subjects studied, ECTS credits (or hours), examinations sat, grades by subject and overall grade.
- Master's Degree certificate (if you do not have it, you can send it to use later).
- Letter of motivation, of a maximum of two sides, specifying the reasons you wish to study this doctoral programme, how your previous studies relate to this programme, which line of research you wish to be considered for and whether or not you have a thesis director or tutor.
- Brief CV of maximum two pages.
- Letter from the director stating that they will direct your thesis, (if you don't have a director you can send us this letter later on, provided it is within the pre-enrolment period; the programme's Selection and Monitoring Committee, depending on their initial assessment of your application, may help you to find a suitable director).
- Letter from the tutor stating that they will undertake the supervision of your thesis, (if you don't have a tutor you can send us this letter later on, provided it is within the pre-enrolment period; the programme's Selection and Monitoring Committee can assign you a suitable tutor).
- Accreditation, if you have it,of proficiency in English equivalent to level B2 or upper intermediate level of independent user of the European Common Reference Framework for Languages (if you do not have this, your level will be tested in the interview).
Regarding educational activities, the School of Doctoral Studies organises courses, seminars and other cross-disciplinary educational activities (soft skills) directed at research training and assisting with the writing and presentation of the doctoral thesis. We ask that the courses be given in English as our language of choice, although Catalan is the language most frequently used. They are generally 10-hour courses or seminars. There are a series of activities that are transferable and are of interest to all doctoral programmes, and others that are specific to a particular doctoral programme
Doctoral theses read in the programme
Doctoral theses read in the area
You must know