Prof. Jordi Colomer Feliu. Department of Physics, University of Girona, Catalonia, Spain.
I have developed a range of research that can be divided in three areas (last 5 years):
- Sustainable education in higher education, in the areas of reflective and cooperative technologies to foster students' competences (formal and non-formal education). School readiness to foster STEAM competences with feedbacks between mathematics, science and dance in primary and secondary education.
Associated project: VERITAS: Structural development of the third cycle based on Salzburg principles. Funded by the European Comission, EACEA N35/2012 , 5th call and Structural Measures action aiming at ameliorating doctoral education in Armenia Higher Education system through alignment with the European Qualifications Framework and Salzburg Principles. Partnership with Yerevan State Medical University, University of Heidelberg, Royal Institute of Technology, University of Girona, Bath Spa University, Yerevan State Academy of Fine Arts, Yerevan State University, Yerevan State Linguistic University, Yerevan State University of Architecture and Construction, Armenian State University of Economics, Gavar State University, Vanadzor State Pedagogical Institute, Northern University, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Public Administration Academy of the Rep. of Armenia, National Center for Professional Education Quality Assurance, Education Quality, Supreme Certifying Commission of the Rep. of Armenia, Ministry of Education and Science of Armenia. Budget: 849,301.80 euros.
Associated project: CREACIENCIA: Dialogues between Science and visual and spatial Dance activities to activate creativity for primary school students. Funded by the Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología. Partnership with the UdG Department of Specific Didactics, the UdG Institute of Sciences Education and the City Council of Banyoles. Budget: 43,000.00 euros.
- Research on coastal sea habitats and the ecosystem services they provide, especially for canopies of Posidonia oceanica in the Mediterranean Sea. Field observations, and scale-modelling approaches are combined to understand the feedbacks between hydrodynamic coastal processes (waves, turbulence, gravity currents), plants (density, shape, rigid vs flexible blades, ...) and sediment transport. Research also focus on the hydrodynamics of fragmented canopies and geomorphological processes.
Associated project: FRAGMENTUM: Hydrodynamics in fragmented wetlands. Funded by the Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad. Partnership with the University of Lancaster and the University of Western Australia. Budget: 65,200.00 euros.
- Integrated and innovative scalable fully ecological sanitation solutions that address water and resource savings in rural communities, for agricultural industries, for sustainable home-builders or collective housing owners for developing countries worldwide. I am involved in optimizing the purification mechanisms performed by Daphnia sp. and especially their role in the reduction of suspended solids and pathogen bacteria. The purification is controlled by a set of abiotic and biotic parameters that can be summarized in the following chart:
Associated project: INNOQUA: Innovative Ecologial on-site Sanitation System for Water and Resource Savings. Funded by the European Comission, Horizon 2010- Research and Innovation Framework Programme. Partnership with Nobatek, Eurecat, R2M Solution SRL, National University of Ireland/Galway, Aqua Enviro Limited, Universidad de Cuenca, DE5 Services, Bremen Overseas Research and Development Organisation, Water Technology Engineering, Black Country Housing Group Limited, Institutul National de Cercetare Dezvoltare, Pentru Ecologie Industriala, Sc ritmic Com SRL, Inbrooll Industries, Scottish Water, Helio Pur Technologies, Berson Milieutechniek B.V., LombriTek association, Grace Yepez, Universidad Católica de Santa Maria. Budget: 6,997,026.00 euros.
5-year Publications and Featured publications (2016, 17, 18, 19 and 20) on:
1: Sustainable Education.
- Judit Fullana, Maria Pallisera, Jordi Colomer, Rosario Fernández, Marc Pérez Burriel. Reflective learning in higher education: a qualitative study on students’ perceptions. Studies in Higher Education. 41, 6, 1008-1022, 2016.
- Ángel Alsina, Sara Ayllón, Jordi Colomer, Fernández Rosario, Judit Fullana, Maria Pallisera, Marc Pérez-Burriel, Laura Serra. Improving and evaluating reflective narratives: A rubric for higher education students, Teaching and Teacher Education, 63, 148-158, 2017.
- Dolors Cañabate, Javier Olivera, Jordi Colomer. A language for growing. Apunts, 134, 146-155, 2018.
- Jordi Colomer, Teresa Serra. Communication in formal and non-formal science, Communication Papers, 7, 13, pp. 217-225, 2018.
- Dolors Cañabate, Georgina Martínez, Gerard Rodríguez and Jordi Colomer. Analysing emotions and social skills in physical education, Sustainability, 10(5), 1585, 2018.
- Jordi Colomer, Laura Serra, Dolors Cañabate and Teresa Serra. Evaluating and assessment-centered reflective-based learning approaches. Sustainability, 10, 3122, 2018.
- Ángel Alsina, Sara Ayllón and Jordi Colomer. Validating the narrative reflection assessment (NARRA)for reflective narratives in higher education. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Evaluation, 44(1), 155-168, 2019.
- Sara Ayllón, Ángel Alsina and Jordi Colomer. Teachers' involvement and students' self-efficacy: keys to achievement in higher education. PLoS ONE, 14(5): e0216865. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216865, 2019.
- Dolors Cañabate, Teresa Serra, Remigijus Bubnys and Jordi Colomer. Pre-service students’ reflections on cooperative learning: instructional approaches and identity construction. Sustainability, 11(21), 5970, 2019.
- Dolors Cañabate, Lluís Nogué, Teresa Serra and Jordi Colomer. Supportive peer feedback in tertiary education: analysis of pre-service teachers’ perception. Education Sciences, 9(4), 2019.
- Dolors Cañabate and Jordi Colomer. Reflecting on future perspectives of cooperative learning in the university of the 21st century. In, Cooperative Learning at the University of the XXI. Proposals, strategies and reflections (Invited chapter book and Editor, Book). Graó, 2020.
- Tahseen Asif, Ouyang Guangming, Muhammad Asif Haider, Jordi Colomer, Sumaira Kayani and Noor ul Amin. Moral Education for Sustainable Development: Comparison of University Teachers’ Perceptions in China and Pakistan. Sustainability, 12, 3014, 2020.
- Jordi Colomer, Teresa Serra, Dolors Cañabate and Remigijus Bubnys. Reflective Learning in Higher Education: Active Methodologies for Transformative Practices. Sustainability, 12, 3827, 2020.
- Jordi Colomer. Reflective Learning in Higher Education, Sustainability, ISSN 2071-1050 (Guest Editor), 2020. https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability/special_issues/reflective_learning_sus
- Dolors Cañabate and Jordi Colomer. Pedagogies for sustainable development. Methodologies and competences for healthy, active, ethical, and sustainable futures (Invited chapter book). Graó, 1-18, 2021.
- Monique Engelbertink, Jordi Colomer, Saskia Kelders, Ángel Alsina, Kariene Woudt-Mittendorff, Sara Ayllón and Gerben Westerhof. The role of reflection on the construction of university students’ professional identity. Submitted, 2020.
- Dolors Cañabate, Mónica Santos, David Rodríguez and Jordi Colomer. Emotional self-regulation through introjective practices in physical education. Submitted, 2020.
- Marcel Bassachs, Dolors Cañabate, Teresa Serra and Jordi Colomer. Science through movement. Cooperating for creativity modes of learning. Submitted, 2020.
2: Coastal Physical Oceanography
- Nazha Elhaoui, Teresa Serra, Marianna Soler, Jordi Colomer and Carolyn Oldham. Interactions between fragmented seagrass canopies and the local hydrodynamics. PLoS ONE, 11(5): e0156264, 2016.
- Marianna Soler, Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer, Xavier Casamitjana and Andrew Folkard. Sediment deposition from gravity currents within emergent vegetation. Sedimentology, 1132-1146, 2017.
- Jordi Colomer, Marianna Soler, Xavier Casamitjana, Teresa Serra and Carolyn Oldham, The impact of anthropogenic longitudinal intermattes on a Posidonia oceanica seagrass meadow Marine Ecology Progress Series. doi.org/10.3354/meps12090, 2017.
- Aina Barcelona, Teresa Serra and Jordi Colomer. Fragmented canopies control the regimes of gravity current development. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 123, 1631-1646, 2018.
- Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer and Carolyn Oldham. Local hydrodynamics at edges of marine canopies under oscillatory flows. PLoS ONE , 13(8): e0201737, 2018.
- Jordi Colomer, Aleix Contreras, Teresa Serra and Andrew Folkard. Effects of vegetated model canopies and cohesive sediment on sediment resuspension of consolidated bed sediments. Environmental Fluid Mechanics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10652-019-09685-x, 19:1575–1598, 2019.
- Marianna Soler, Jordi Colomer, Andrew Folkard and Teresa Serra. Particle size segregation of turbidity current deposits in vegetated canopies. Science of the Total Environment, 703, 134784, 2020.
- Teresa Serra, Josep Pascual, Ramon Brunet, Jordi Colomer. The mixing regime and turbidity of Lake Banyoles (NE Spain): Response to climate change. Water, 12(6), 1621, 2020.
- Aina Barcelona, Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer and Carolyn Oldham. Fate of sediment plume particles within a canopy: a laboratory investigation. Submitted to Limnology and Oceanography.
- Marianna Soler, Teresa Serra, Andrew Folkard, Jordi Colomer. Sedimentation of gravity currents through patch vegetation. Submitted to Journal of Hydrology.
- Aina Barcelona, Jordi Colomer, Marianna Soler, Teresa Serra. Interplay between plants and intermattes of Posidonia oceanica fragmented meadows. Submitted to Marine Ecology Progress Series.
- Teresa Serra, Estel Font, Marianna Soler, Aina Barcelona, Jordi Colomer. Mean residence time in a lagoon surrounded by a shallow vegetated foodplain. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
3: Innovative Ecological Sanitation Systems for Water and Resource Savings
- Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer. The hydraulic retention time on the particle removal efficiency by Daphnia magna filtration on treated wastewater. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 13(6), 1433-1442, 2016.
- Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer, Aina Barcelona and Marçal Soler. Daphnia magna filtration and mobility in laminar and turbulent flows. Science of the Total Environment, 621, 626-633, 2018.
- Mara Müller, Teresa Serra and Jordi Colomer. Response reversibility and short-term quasi-acclimation of Daphnia magna to changing temperatures. PLoS ONE 13(12): e0209705. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209705, 2018.
- Teresa Serra, Marçal Soler, Narcís Pous and Jordi Colomer. Daphnia magna filtration, swimming and mortality under ammonium, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate. Science of the Total Environment, 656, 331-337, 2019.
- Teresa Serra, Mara Müller and Jordi Colomer. Functional responses of Daphnia magna to zero-mean flow turbulence. Scientific Reports, 9:3844, 2019.
- Jordi Colomer, Mara Müller, Aina Barcelona and Teresa Serra. Mediated food and hydrodynamics on the ingestion of microplastics by Daphnia magna. Environmental Pollution, 251, 434-441, 2019.
Teresa Serra, Mara F. Müller, Aina Barcelona, Victòria Salvadó, Narcís Pous and Jordi Colomer. Optimal light conditions for Daphnia filtration. Science of the Total Environment, 686, 151–157, 2019.
Victòria Salvadó, Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer, Narcís Pous, Marc Font, Irene Pijoan and Jochen Scheerer. Reactor for wastewater treatment purification. Spanish Patent and Trademark Office, Model Utility U201931159 (U668ES00), 2019.
Narcís Pous, Manuela Hidalgo, Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer, Jesús Colprim and Victòria Salvadó. Assessment of zooplankton-based eco-sustainable wastewater treatment at laboratory scale. Chemosphere, 238, 124683, 2020.
Teresa Serra, Aina Barcelona, Victoria Salvadó, Narcía Pous and Jordi Colomer. Synergistic effects of second and third order stressors on Daphnia magna. Submitted to Environmental Pollution.
Narcís Pous, Teresa Serra, Jordi Colomer, and Victòria Salvadó. Zooplankton-based reactor for tertiary wastewater treatment: A case study at pilot-scale. Submitted to Ecological Engineering.