The Universitat de Girona is a member of the UNIMED network of Mediterranean Universities (Union of the Mediterranean Universities). This network aims to increase collaboration between universities located on the southern and northern shores of the Mediterranean. Among other initiatives, UNIMED has created thematic sub-networks to encourage multidisciplinary collaboration on topics of global interest.
The Universitat de Girona, represented by Dr. Josep Vila, together with the Abdelmalek Essaadi University (Morocco), represented by Dr Adil Salhi, co-lead the newly created “Climate and Environmental Change” subnetwork.
The subnetwork “Climate and environmental change” aims to connect the main actors involved in the topic, promote synergies, knowledge-exchange and partnerships among the involved Universities, support policy dialogue and strengthen consultation in the Mediterranean. At the same time, it aims to engage universities with research centers, public administrations, private companies and NGO’s working in this field to develop and share initiatives and projects.
The main objectives of the subnetwork are:
- Promoting regional and cross-cutting cooperation between the two shores of the Mediterranean, to create new partnerships and develop joint projects related to climate and environmental change, heritage conservation, mitigation, adaptation, resilience and ecological transition.
- Supporting Universities in the definition of key competences and learning program’s related to climate and environmental change, heritage conservation, mitigation, adaptation, resilience and ecological transition to facilitate studies and trainings for a new generation of students, scientists, professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Increase the awareness and understanding of the risk associated to climate and environmental change and contributing to provide innovative solutions to this global challenge for the future of Mediterranean biodiversity and cultural heritage and its impact on the different territories, economies and societies.
- Encouraging the awareness and understanding of the importance of the Cultural and Natural Heritage in the Mediterranean context.
- Organizing international events (workshops, conferences, webinars, trainings) to improve the flow of knowledge and exchange of experiences.
- Developing and reinforcing virtual exchange in all kind of activities developed inside the subnetwork.
- Gathering and sharing information, to collaboratively carry out studies, analysis and research papers on the thematic, and to support knowledge-based policy making.
For more information: https://www.uni-med.net/en/climate-and-environmental-change-2/