1. Introduction of the subject. Basic concepts of electromagnetic waves.
The relationship between physiotherapy and physical agents.
Physiology of pain and the excitable tissue.
2. Microwaves. Infrared radiation. Lamps and lasers.
3. Infrared lamp (practical)
4. Basic concepts of sound waves. Ultrasound application.
5. Ultrasound generation and properties (practical)
6. Basic concepts of electrotherapy. Types of currents.
7. Basic concepts of magnetism. Electromagnetism. Transcutaneal electrical stimulation - TENS (practical).
8. Magnetotherapy: Interactions with the human body.
9. Diathermy, capacity and resistance. Diathermy applications.
10. Thermal agents: Thermotherapy and Cryotherapy.
11. Mechanical agents. Traction and compression. Hydrotherapy.
13. Case studies.
14. Final Exam. Final course evaluation.
The subject will be continuously assessed through seminars (20%), case studies (20%) and the final exam (60%).
Note: A minimum score of 5 is required to obtain the weighted average score, which includes seminars, case studies and the final theoretical exam. This average will be the overall score of the subject. If the student scores less than 5 on the theoretical exam, he/she will not be able to count the continuous assessment (seminars and case studies) as part of their final mark. In this case, the student will have to do the Basic Competences Exam (BCE).