1. BLOCK 1. ENGLISH FOR TOURISM & GRAMMAR.
2. Air travel
• Airport & aircraft terminology
• Developments in airport services
• Airport security
• The passive
• Word focus 1
3. Hotel procedures
• The staff structure of hotels
• Rewarding good performance
• Word collocations: achieve, carry out, devote / stay, spend, pass/ make, cause, have
• Modal verbs to express certainty and possibility
• Word building 1
4. Applying for a job: Writing cover letters
• Tips on how to write a good cover letter
• Modals expressing ability
• Verb collocations with ambition, career, experience and job
• Writing test#2: A cover letter
• Structural conversion 1
5. Practice of a complete FCE examination I
6. Quoting prices
• Revision of numbers
• Explaining prices. Expressing mathematical operations
• Word focus 2
7. Trends in tourism
• Identifying latest trends in tourism
• The language of statistics
• Causatives: have and get
• Writing test# 3: A statistical report
• Word building 2
• Food terminology
• Describing dishes
• Words often confused: food, dish and meal
• Focus on intensifiers: so/such, too /enough
• Writing task # 4: A menu
• Structural conversion 2
9. Practice of a complete FCE examination 2
10. BLOCK 2. COMMUNICATION & CULTURE
11. Reading: 14 Tourism Trends That Will Change The Way You Think About Your Career. Writing test # 1: An essay
12. Professional language: Hotel check-in & check-out
13. Pronunciation: Introduction to sounds and phonemic alphabet
14. Series: Spaced(1999) : s1 e1 Beginnings / s1 e6 Epiphanies
15. Professional language: Giving presentations
16. Pronunciation: vowel sounds
17. Series: The Sopranos (1999) s1e1
18. Reading:The Man of the crowd, by Edgar Allan Poe
19. BLOCK 3: SELF-LEARNING WORK
The teacher will ask students to do a number of self-learning activities from the program called Tell me More ® from the Rosetta Stone Company. At the onset of the 2nd term, the teacher will establish the number of hours students will have to dedicate to activities from this programme. Tell me More® will evaluate the work done and will generate a final report according to the work load done in terms of hours spent on the various activities. Doing the amount of work requested will grant the student a percentage of the final grade.
The percentages above concern students who choose SUMMATIVE or ONGOING ASSESSEMENT. These learners will also have to take into account the following considerations:
1. If a student fails the competence exam of the first term, he/she will have the chance to recover this part in the competence exam of the second term.
2. If a student fails the oral exam of the first semester, he/she will have to recover this part in the oral exam of the second term.
3. Students who do not show up for a writing test will have the opportunity to do that written task on the day of the competence exam of that semester.
4. Students who fail a writing test will not be given the opportunity to recover that mark.
Those students who prefer to be assessed just once a year, in other words, those students who relinquish their right to formative assessment in favour of summative assessment, will just sit a written exam in June (50% of the grade), an oral exam (30%), and will also have to show they have done a number of activities from the Tell Me More program (20%). In both exams the minimum score will be a 5.
Notice of their choice of assessment must be reported before 30th October should they want summative assessment.
Criteris específics de la nota «No Presentat»:
"NO PRESENTAT" will be given only to those students who do not show up to the exam.
There will be three groups for English lessons, A, B and C, in order to reinforce interaction between teacher and students and promote conversation and oral practice in class. These groups will do exactly the same program; they will not be created according to level.
The English for Tourism & Grammar block will be done on a day and time different from the Communication & Culture lesson.
Students who have difficulties following the level of the course are advised to seek external reinforcement by means of attending the tutorial sessions of the professor, the midday lessons offered by Euroaula, self-learning work on line, conversation practice with private teachers or international students, etc.