1. Introduction. Main functional groups in biological chemistry. Acids and bases; nucleophiles and electrophiles. Main reaction mechanisms in biological chemistry. Chirality and biological chemistry.
2. Amino acids, peptides and proteins. Structure, classification and nomenclature of amino acids. Amino acids as acids and bases. Structure and nomenclature of peptides. Synthesis of peptides. Structure of proteins. Enzyme action. Cofactors. Biosynthesis of amino acids.
3. Nucleic acids. Structure and nomenclature of nucleic acids. Biosynthesis of nucleotides.
4. Lipids. Waxes, fats and oils. Terpenoids, steroids and prostaglandins. Biosynthesis of fatty acids. Biosynthesis of terpenoids.
5. Carbohydrates. Importance and definition. Classification. Monosaccharides: structure, chemical properties and cyclic structures. Disaccharadies and polysaccharides. Gluconeogenesis.
6. The organic chemistry of the metabolic routes. Metabolism: anabolism and catabolism. Carbohydrate metabolism. Amino acid metabolism. Nucleotide metabolism.
Exercises related to the topics in the course 40%
The exam is the only activity which can be retaken. Students that want to improve their marks must submit a request to the professor in advance. Performing again the exam means that they renounce to the mark previously obtained.
Students must get 5 points in order to pass the subject. However, they must get a minimum mark of 4 out of 10 in the exam in order that the marks obtained in the activities that can not be retaken are considered.
Marks obtained in the activities carried out in small groups are going to be corrected with a factor that will take into account the self-assessment and the peer assessment.
Criteris específics de la nota «No Presentat»:
The subject is going to be considered as "Not Presented" only if the student has not carried out any grading activity
At the beginning of the course, students should form groups of 3 to 4 people. Students must notify the teacher the members of each group before September 16th, 2013. Groups are going to carry out the activities that can not be retaken using cooperative learning methodologies. Final exam is to be done individually.
General features for each activity are indicated. Specific criteria for grading and functioning will be announced at La meva UdG at the beginning of the course.