1. The grammar of English from a structural and morphological point of view.
2. Oral English: skills for understanding various varieties of the language.
3. Style resources to improve written English for specific academic genres.
4. How to write book reports.
5. Building up a larger vocabulary.
For passing the subject (plain 5 mark), students must do 80% of Raymond Murphy’s English Grammar in Use (With Answers) exam exercises correctly.
Having passed this first exam, students can obtain higher marks in the following way:
(1) for a 6,50 mark, students must answer 80% of the Speak Up Audio issues 241, 242, 243 and 244 exam questions correctly;
(2) for a 7'5 mark, students must pass the exam based on Ronald Carter’s The Penguin Modern Language Reader: Everyday Modern English Texts with Practice Activities;
(3) for an 9 mark, students must write a 4-page book report on John Steinbeck’s Cannery Row.