Master's in Teaching Spanish and Catalan as Second Languages
This master’s programme provides students with research and professional training in the study of second languages with a focus on linguistic, cultural, educational and social diversity.
It provides essential training for future teachers of Spanish and/or Catalan as second languages, from both an educational and a grammatical point of view, and it complements the existing training offered in response to the social demand created by intercultural situations. It also guarantees the foundation needed to develop research activity in general and comparative linguistics, linguistic contact, and language teaching and acquisition, with particular emphasis on multilingual situations related to migration.
The programme offers the opportunity to gain practical experience at a foreign university and at the centers of Instituto Cervantes, and apply for an Erasmus + for Traineeships grant.
Access and admission
Graduates with degrees in Catalan Language and Literature, Spanish Language and Literature (or other languages or philologies), Linguistics, Translation and Interpretation, Educational Sciences and other areas of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Priority will be given to those candidates with the best academic records and having a sufficient level of knowledge in the field, if the demand for places exceeds supply fixed (30 students).
Sufficient knowledge of Catalan or Spanish equivalent to level C1 is required. If you do not have an official accreditation to this level, the Admissions Committee will determine through an interview with the candidate and, if necessary, a placement test if you have the proficiency sufficient.
The master’s programme has been conceived in response to the demand for persons with knowledge of languages and specialisations in social integration, at the international, national and local level. The features of this master’s degree make it attractive to graduates from many fields of the humanities and the social sciences. It also attracts professionals working as language teachers in early childhood, primary, secondary or adult education, in the reception of immigrant groups, or in translation and interpretation. The programme will complement their training by providing a strong foundation in the acquisition and the teaching of second languages, with a focus on educational and grammatical aspects, and taking into account new needs generated by intercultural situations.
Accordingly, career opportunities provide by the programme include:
- Professors of Spanish and Catalan as a foreign language, in various public or private institutions (language schools, universities, adult education centres, language standardisation consortia, etc.) and in the world of business and tourism, in Spain and abroad.
- Professionals working on the linguistic and social integration of immigrants and on language diversity management in multilingual and multicultural contexts.
- Researchers capable of helping people understand the cultural, social and linguistic diversity in our country at present.
- Researches in linguistics and in the study of Romance languages (sociolinguistics, linguistic typology, language teaching, language acquisition, language contact, theoretical linguistics, comparative grammar, Spanish, Catalan, other romance languages, etc.).
- Publishing professionals specialised in the creation of educational materials for the teaching of second languages.
The training offered in the master’s programme is recognised and recommended by the Institut Ramon Llull and by the Department of Language Policy of the Catalan government.
An agreement has been reached with the Cervantes Institute to allow students to complete practical placements in its centres around the world.
Admission to the doctoral programme
The successful completion of this master’s degree provides access to the research period of a doctoral programme. Bear in mind that each programme can set additional requirements and criteria for selection and admission of students, such as the demand for specific complementary training courses.
List of UdG teaching staff members who teach classes in the current year
Department of Education
Department of Philology and Communication
Department of Psychology
Department of Subject-Specific Education