Internacional > Would you like to come to the UdG? > All steps at a glance > EU Students - Health and insurance
Ir al contenido (click en Intro)

Health and insurance

EU Students


Every foreigner who comes to Girona, whether to work or study, must have health insurance.

In the event of any illness or chronic symptoms that can lead to complications during your stay (allergies, respiratory problems, diabetes), you must inform the External Relations Office.

Also, if you need any specific mobility support or help to function from day to day, the University of Girona has a Support Programme for university community members with disabilities .

If you come from a country in the European Union

If you come from an EU country, or from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and in your home country you are insured through a public social security system, you are entitled to the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) , a personal, non-transferable document that verifies you as a user with the right to receive free health care in the centres of the Catalan health care network.

With this card you can go to a hospital or primary care facility, receive the same attention and care as any Catalan citizen and buy the medicines prescribed by your physician. Remember, though, that this card does not cover private health care or repatriation costs. If you want the UdG offers you this mobility insurance .

Each EHIC, depending on the country, has a different period of validity; do not forget to check the expiration date on the card.

The EHIC can be obtained by going to your national health insurance agency (see section on National information and contacts  and special procedures applicable in your country of origin). The EHIC is free. For more information, please consult the frequently asked questions about the European Health Card  .

If you need health care, you must go to the primary care center (CAP) closest to your home  and show your EHIC along with a document proving your identity (identity card or passport).

It is important that you bring the European Health Insurance Card and if you want to buy also a private insurance you can do it once in Girona through the University.

Medicines and pharmacies

In Catalonia and the rest of Spain, medications are purchased in pharmacies. Prescriptions issued by physicians must be filled in a pharmacy. The required payment is only a percentage of the cost of the drug.

Pharmacies are usually open to the public on Monday to Friday from 9:15 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., which are normal business hours. In addition, every day of the year there is a pharmacy open 24 hours a day. To check which pharmacies are open on a particular date, use this pharmacy locator .

Addresses of interest

Social Security
Fax + 34 972 219 428

National Social Security
Institute - INSS

c/ Santa Eugènia, 40
Tel. +34 972.226.222 / +34 900 166 565 (24 hours)

Catalan Health Institute - ICS
Tel. +34 972200044 / +34 902 111 444 (24 hours)