The Bachelor in Pedagogy course seeks to comprehensively train the student in the educational and training processes in order to become a specialist in designing, planning, determining, advising on, directing, coordinating, managing, developing and evaluating projects and action within the remit of education.
The Pedagogy course is invested in a model of excellence and innovation in the methodological and organizational field. It encourages the extension of education into new fields of pedagogical action and work, so as to ease the student’s entry into a job market that is continually changing.
The curriculum is based on the interrelation of disciplines and has been designed on the concept that pedagogues require a solid cultural education with the ability incorporate the knowledge gained from this particular discipline with the knowledge of other social and cultural disciplines (anthropology, sociology, economics, history, law, etc.).
Pedagogical studies have developed structures typical of the democratic participation of students and teachers, ensuring the quality of the degree. The objective is to foster critical thinking, dialogue and direct participation within these studies in order to foster the course’s quality and the quality of the pedagogy students trained at the University of Girona.
- Creating professionals capable of designing, planning, determining, advising, directing, coordinating, managing, developing and evaluating projects and actions in the area of education and life-long learning.
- Training of pedagogy students to become specialists in educational and training processes, in order to enter the profession in the various field s of pedagogy and continue their training through the offer educational, social and cultural postgraduate courses.
The skills acquired will allow the student to have the necessary tools to:
- Determine the social and cultural reality and make proposals for satisfying the needs at issue.
- Design, apply and assess educational programmes with methodologies adapted to the different economic, social, cultural and personal situation.
- Design, apply and assess proposals for the organisation and management of educational centres, institutions and services.
- Design, apply and assess techniques and strategies of mediation, consultation and promotion in the community, as well as in organisations, institutions and services.
- Design plans of lifelong learning and teacher training appropriate to new educational situations and needs.
The pedagogy course at the University of Girona has been working on quality, avant-garde and critical pedagogy for years. The curriculum taught since 2010 has been based on this perspective.
Being a consummate professional in this area requires a very solid cultural and intellectual education; accordingly, the model chosen by the University gives students a strong basis in educational issues along with contemporary thought, economics, law, sociology and other matters. The student receives comprehensive intellectual and cultural training, in addition to the ability to pursue a professional career in various fields.
The Bachelor's degree in Pedagogy has been designed to facilitate the entry of the student into a job market that is constantly changing.
Pedagogy has developed within public and private organisations and services, as well as in distance-learning and in-class environments aimed at people of all ages.
The places where pedagogues tend to work can be divided into four areas:
- Education: schools, institutes (following a master’s in secondary education), adult education centres and resource centres, among others.
- Society: civic centres, sports centres, prisons, recreation companies and services, legal services, social services, health centres and services and such centres and services.
- Labour and careers service: continuous training in companies and institutions, career orientation, employment skills training.
- Culture and communications: museums, media, publishing companies and other companies, cultural services and institutions.
Master's degree The UdG offers an extensive range of masters degrees. Master's degree courses offer advanced, specialised or multidisciplinary training, aimed at providing students with an academic or professional specialism or an introduction to research. These are official courses that enable students to move on to study for a doctoral degree.
Doctorate degree The aim of Dral studies is to provide students with advanced training in research techniques and the programmes include the production and presentation of a doctoral thesis, consisting of an original research project. To join a doctoral programme you need to have a minimum of between 60 and 120 ECTS credits at official university master's degree level or equivalent.
Postgraduate courses and specialization. University of Girona foundation: Innovation and Training is a centre that hosts and organises ongoing training activities with the aim of meeting ongoing higher level training needs. If offers own masters, postgraduate courses, specialization courses and other postgraduate activities covering all areas of knowledge.
The practicum is an important pillar in the training of the pedagogy student because it allows them to gain first-hand knowledge of the profession and develop the competences, skills and attitudes required by the work.
It is a subject worth 30 credits that is given in the second semester of the 3rd year of the Bachelor's degree in Pedagogy thereby ensuring the student has already assimilated extensive theoretical knowledge ready to be exploited in practice.
The Bachelor's degree in Pedagogy practicum has been designed to achieve the following objectives:
- Prepare students for the reality of the profession so that from the moment of entering a centre or institution they can cope with the complexity of educational work.
- Establish links between the tertiary education gained and the knowledge to be acquired in the professional sphere in order to gain a deeper, more complex, functional and critical understanding constructed from a reflection on the work and its very practice.
- Create observational and analytical processes in relation to the reality of education, so the student can take reasoned decisions.
- Acquire and apply professional pedagogical skills within a specific field.
- Foster job opportunities in educational centres or institutions for students.
The bachelor's thesis for the Pedagogy course is compulsory and carries a workload of 18 ECTS credits. It is performed in the second semester of the fourth year. It is specifically oriented to assess the attainment of the course’s objectives and the professional and transferable skills imparted by the degree.
It entails the preparation of a monograph, study, project, dissertation or work by the student. It can be directed towards research (a theoretical or historical topic; focused on an actual practice, experience or innovation) or have a professional orientation (formulation of an educational, topical or teaching-learning project; assessment of socio-educational projects, programmes or plans or of educational systems; or dissertation on the application of an educational project, resource or innovations). The student will submit this work and defend it in an oral hearing before an examination committee.
Students will be oriented/advised by a tutor both individually and within a group.
Students can complete part of their degree programme abroad through the Erasmus programme, which enables them to carry on their studies whilst undertaking an international exchange with academic value in a European university.
They also have access to grants for placements at Spanish universities and those on other continents, thanks to bilateral agreements, the SICUE programme and the expansion of the Erasmus+ Programme.