1. Define telemedicine and e-health.
2. Identify and explain the value (pros) and cons of telemedicine to patients, clinicians and health care organizations.
3. Identify and explain the human and technological barriers to telemedicine.
4. Describe the different types of telemedicine: teleconsultation, telemonitoring, telerehabilitation and telesurgery.
5. Illustrate the application of telemedicine with examples in different specialties (radiology, dermatology, pathology, etc.) and identify their requirements.
6. Illustrate the application of e-health with examples (e-prescription, personal health folder, e-health social networks, etc.).
7. Describe the different phases of information lifecycle: capture, manipulation/compression, transmission, storage, retrieval and display
7.1. Illustrate different types of sensors (temperature, blood pressure, pulse rate, glucose, etc.) with examples, and identify their main features.
7.2. Describe the basis of digitization for the captured information.
7.3. Describe the importance in the diagnosis and its relationship with the file size for the following concepts: lossy and lossless compression, image/video resolution, color model and color depth.
7.4. Describe main networks technologies (wired and wireless) and their subtypes (twisted pair, optical fiber, bluetooth, zigbee, wifi, satellite, mobile, etc.).
7.5. Apply some features regarding information transmission (bandwidth, latency, jitter, packetization and packet loss) to determine the feasibility of using different types of communications for the practice of telemedicine.
7.6. Define the concept of Body Area Networks (BAN) and Personal Area Networks (PAN) and their use in telemedicine and e-health.
7.7. Describe the differences between asynchronous (store-and-forward) and synchronous (real-time interactive) operation modes and identify the most suitable approach in different applications.
7.8. Define the following concepts of database, Hospital Information System (HIS), Radiology Information System (RIS) and Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS) and identify how they are related.
7.9. Describe some features of displays: size, resolution, color and refresh rate.
8. Describe how security, privacy and confidentiality can be provided or preserved: physical security, networks security (e.g.. firewalls), authentication, encryption, integrity, availability and backups.
9. Describe the main requirements imposed by the Spanish regulation regarding personal data protection: Ley Orgánica de Protección de Datos (LOPD).
10. Identify and describe the legal issues concerning the practice of telemedicine.
11. Describe the importance of standardization and identify the following standards, standardization organizations or bodies: DICOM, LOINC, SNOMED-CT, HL7.
12. Explain the differences among the following technologies or concepts and illustrate their applications in medicine with examples: mhealth, games and videogames, virtual reality and augmented reality.
13. Explain the importance of usability and accessibility in the design of telemedicine and e-health applications.