1. Introduction to fluid mechanics.
1.1. Fluid properties.
1.2. Mass, momentum and energy conservation equations.
1.3. Flow regimes:laminar/turbulent; steady/unsteady; compressible/incompressible.
2. Turbulence modelling.
2.1. Reynolds Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS)
2.2. Large Eddy Simulation (LES)
2.3. Detached Eddy Simulation (DES)
2.4. Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS)
3. Fundamentals of numerical methods.
3.1. Finite Difference Method (FDM)
3.2. Finite Volume Method (FVM)
3.3. Finite Element Method (FEM)
3.4. Implicit and explicit methods; stability; convergence.
4. Grid generation.
4.1. Geometry modelling.
4.2. Surface grids.
4.3. Mesh generation.
4.4. Grid quality.
4.5. Examples with meshing packages.
5. Source code.
5.1. Validation and verification.
5.2. Fundamentals of high performance computing.
6. Postprocessing with both commercial and opensource packages.
7. Practical engineering examples.
7.1. Best practice guidelines.
7.2. Unsteady/steady problems.
7.3. External aerodynamics.
7.4. Multiphase flows.
7.5. Free convection.
7.6. Heat transfer.
In order to pass the course, you must:
1. Have a 75% minimum attendance for both classroom and laboratory sessions.
2. Obtain a final grade equal or greater than 5, computed from:
Final Grade = 0,15 TG + 0,85 PG
TG = averaged grade of the three examination tests carried out along the course.
PG = grade of the practical assignment.
The practical assignment consists of solving an Engineering problem with CFD and it is evaluated from:
PG = 0,20 geometry grade + 0,30 mesh grade + 0,20 oral presentation grade + 0,30 written essay grade.
Criteris específics de la nota «No Presentat»:
The mark NP (not present at the exam) will be assigned in case that the student:
1. Fails to attend a minimum of 75% for both classroom and laboratory sessions.
2. Does not give in the practical assignment at the expected date or before.
La nota NP (no presentat) s'aplicarà quan l'estudiant:
1. No atengui a un mínim del 75% de les sessions de laboratori i d'aula.
2. No entregui el treball pràctic en la data convinguda o abans.
It is necessary to have some notions at a medium level on mathematics, physics and, particularly, fluid dynamics.
We strongly recommend to come with a USB flash drive in order to store all the information developed during the laboratory sessions.