Open Position – Senior Research Fellow in Sustainable Food Production
at the inter-unit entity “ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences” (VALORTECH), which was formed in collaboration of two EMÜ´s institutes, Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences and Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Commencement date: available immediately until 30.06.2023
Duties and responsibilities
As a key member of the team, the selected candidate:
- Senior research fellow is a recognised scholar in his or her field, who leads a research topic or a research project, or is responsible for the completion of substantial sections thereof;
- is qualified to perform teaching, deliver lectures in his or her specialism, supervise students in all tiers of higher education and develop courses;
- the effectiveness of the work of senior research fellows is demonstrated by their ability to secure research funding (funding and research grants, contracts in the field of research and development, etc.);
- actively develops relationships with other universities, research institutions and companies, and participates in consultation and development work;
- promotes his or her field of research;
- develops the knowledge and skills necessary for research work, participates in research conferences and seminars and does research-organisational work;
- organize seminars, workshops and public lectures;
- the immediate organiser of the work of the senior research fellow is the head of the subunit.
*Further particulars will be included in the job description.
A PhD degree in Food Science, in Food Engineering or in Food Technology, or equivalent.
Has to fulfil the criteria of the level R3 (Established Researcher) of the European Framework for Researcher Careers profiles and Senior Research Fellow qualification requirements at the Estonian University of Life Sciences.
- the candidate to the position of senior research fellow is a recognised specialist in his or her field with research experience;
- have expertise in food processing and sustainable food production;
- experience in livestock feed and/or horticulture based research is added advantage;
- researcher should be familiar with value addition to by-products and bio-wastes, assess the functionality of natural ingredients, sustainable utilization of the bio-resources;
- experience in teaching at an institute of higher education, including experience in supervising graduate and postgraduate students is recommended;
- internationally recognised research in his or her specialism or its related field in the volume equivalent to that of at least two PhD theses is a prerequisite for the participation in the competition;
- in professional reviews the effectiveness of the work of a senior research fellow in the past five years is assessed, including his/her on-going research activities: internationally recognised research during the past five years in the volume equivalent to that of at least one and a half PhD theses;
- conducts research independently which advances a research agenda, identifies appropriate research methodologies and approaches;
- ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and should hold good interpersonal and communication skills;
- the successful candidate will commit him/herself with the inter-unit entity VALORTECH for the entire duration of the grant period.
- guaranteed salary 3,000 EUR per month, (this amount is subject to employee taxes and shall be supplemented by healthcare and social services required by law);
- funds for supporting the training and mobility of the team members;
- access to research facilities locating in Tartu and Viljandi county;
- support for making arrangements and settling in Estonia;
Required language skills
Estonian (local language) will be an added advantage
Workload 1.00 (full-time)
Additional contact info:
Rajeev Bhat, Rajeev.Bhat@emu.ee;
ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (VALORTECH)
Ivi Jõudu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, associated professor, interim chair, VALORTCH project coordinator
Piia Pääso, email@example.com
Director of Polli Horticultural Research Centre
To participate in the competition, candidates are required to submit the following documents to the Academic Secretary (Fr. R. Kreutzwaldi 1, 51006 TARTU, ESTONIA)
- an application to the Rector in free format;
- a copy of the document certifying PhD degree or equivalent;
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) incl.
- list of scientific publications of the last 10 years, indexed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science or Scopus;
- information on academic and food industry works undertaken since last five recent years;
- candidates should provide referees name of two individuals who can be called upon to provide information regarding the candidate’s work;
- other relevant materials at the discretion of the applicant.
Application documents shall be submitted in English in the written form, either on paper or as a digitally signed document by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 1st, 2020.
Following the submission of documents, the eligible candidates might be invited for an interview with the VALORTECH Steering Committee on site or via Skype.
“Rules of competitions for the employment of regular teaching staff and research staff” (Council Regulation No. 2 of 28.02.2008)
“Job descriptions of the teaching and research staff members at the Estonian University of Life Sciences” (Council Regulation No. 1-5/17 of 27.11.2014)
European Framework for Researcher Careers profiles
Project VALORTECH has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810630.
Estonian University of Life Sciences
Kreutzwaldi 1 Tartu 51006, Estonia; phone +372 731 3001, fax +372 731 3068, e-mail: email@example.com